Österreichische Post (Austrian Post)
Postal services in Austria are provided by Österreichische Post, which was established in 1999 as an independent entity after separating from the former government agency PTT Post- und Telegraphenverwaltung. The history of postal services in Austria can be traced back to 1490, when the first standardized postal service between Innsbruck and Mechelen, Belgium, was established. Over time, an extensive network of postal routes was developed, connecting Vienna with cities in Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, and Portugal by 1563.
During the reign of Emperor Charles VI in 1722, the postal service became a state monopoly, and stagecoaches were used to transport mail and passengers in the 18th century. In the 19th century, postal innovations such as post boxes, money orders, and cash-on-delivery services were introduced. Vienna implemented a pneumatic mail system in 1875, which further improved the efficiency of mail transportation.
The first regular international air mail route between Vienna, Krakow, and Lviv was inaugurated on March 31, 1918, but the service concluded on October 15. In 1966, postal codes were introduced throughout Austria, which streamlined the sorting and delivery of mail across the country.